The Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers, Inc. IS BUILDING ON THE WORK TO PREPARE FOR A TRANSFORMATIONAL FUTURE
A HeaLthcare Disruption Inspires NEW PROGRAMS and SERVICE DELIVERY
TWO THINGS that drive us Today: (1) The social service needs of our communities continue (2) Life events require us to innovate and deliver services in a new way.
NEW WAYS TO SERVE THE COMMUNITY:
“During the Covid – 19 Buffalo shut down, our agency immediately began planning for a new way to provide services and new programs that would fill continual and emerging needs.
We were energized by how the staff embraced the challenges and saw it as an opportunity to create a transformational agency,” stated Richard I. Herrera, MSW, CEO of BFNC.
I. EXPANDED COMMUNIATIONS
A focus on communicating to a changing and diverse community: BFNC has introduced a new website at www.bfnc.org and expanded their social media presence on Facebook @buffalobfnc and Instagram @b.f.n.c
II. YOUTH SERVICES
- Youth Services Director is now scheduling weekly “Talk Sessions” with teens so that they can share their anxieties and continue to receive growth opportunities. In addition, they had to cancel their annual college tour but substituted the tours with virtual online college tours.
- The new director is now planning a Digital PSA Design Contest focused on communicating Covid -19 Safety Rules and Responsible Sexual Health.
Students are asked to submit memes/ gif files or video clips to communicate these important issues.
III. TAX and LEGAL ASSITANCE
- Tax Assistance Services are now provided via remote appointments.
- Legal services to assist clients with several civil issues are new provided digitally.
III. RESIDENTIAL SERVICES FOR THE MENTALLY ILL
- Residential services staff continue to provide services to care for those in most need of care.
- Safety precautions and training have been implemented to protect both staff and residents.
- The leadership has drafted a comprehensive plan to provide quality digital services in addition to ongoing case management services clients need.
IV. CONTINUAL TRAINING TO ELIMINATE OBSTACLES OF A NEW REALITY
- The BFNC leadership has developed digital staff training sessions to provide expanded training and continual education about serving the community in a new world.
V. COMMUNITY COLLABORATIONS
- New community collaborations have been established to continue providing resources the Fruitbelt neighbors and seniors need.
FILLING A FOOD NEED: A COMMUNITY COLLABORATION
The Fruitbelt Community Land Trust/FBCLT and community partners (Open Buffalo, Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers, Queen City Couriers) will provide meals, sanitation supplies, and facial masks to members of the Fruitbelt community. FBCLT is providing door to door service to neighbors who need food and other household needs.
The BFNC Moot Center served as the holding and fulfillment center for all supplies that will be distributed by volunteers directly to neighbor homes.
FREE TAX SERVICES
BFNC IS OFFERING FREE VIRTUAL TAX PREPARATION SERVICES for 20I9 TAX FILING.
CALL 2-1-1 to Make an Online Appointment.
* TO QUALIFY FOR FREE ASSISTANCE: You Must:
- Have a valid email address and phone number
- HAVE A COMPUTER OR OTHER MOBILE DEVICE such as a Tablet or Smart Phone.
- A Computer or a Mobile device is needed to access our tax forms.
- Have the ability to complete online intake and consent forms
- Be able to upload tax documents
- Have filed your taxes before at a BFNC VITA Tax Site in 2017 or 2018.
FREE LEGAL ASSISTANCE FOR ONLY CIVIL MATTERS
The BFNC Hope Center’s Civil Legal Advice and Resource Clinic (CLARO) is now offering Free Legal Services Remotely.
If you need free legal assistance for debt, foreclosures, student loans or housing please CALL: 716-828-8432. For more Information: Visit http://clarobuffalo.org/
About Buffalo Federation of Community Centers (BFNC)
BFNC, a 501c3 community focused organization, has served Buffalo and Erie County continuously since 1893 through its programs for youths, adults, and seniors. BFNC delivers comprehensive, coordinated, family-focused, human services to low-income and disadvantaged neighborhoods throughout Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Lockport. To learn more about BFNC’s programs and services visit www.bfnc.org and Follow BFNC on social media @buffalobfnc.