History of the Westminster Community House
The Westminster Community House was originally constructed in 1893 as a settlement house, and remains an important part of the Westminster Commons Community.
On September 17, 1894, Westminster House at 421 Monroe Street officially opened its doors to the community with Miss Emily S. Holmes as head worker. Activities included a free Kindergarten, a sewing school, boys and girls clubs, and many more. It later added a gymnasium, billiard room, and reading room with library.
In 1910, a new clubhouse was built on the original site and still stands today as the Westminster Community House. It has since been transformed into a community service facility with services for both residents and the community, including case management provided by BFNC staff, an active senior services program, a federally qualified healthcare center, an Evans Bank branch, a commercial kitchen and beauty salon, and community outreach space.
Community services provided by:
Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers
The Community Health Center of Buffalo, Inc.
Evans Bank Westminster Community House Branch
B FOUR BEAUTY SALON